Sunday, December 5, 2010

Connectivity on the go...

I'll start this revival with some of my impressions regarding the fore-mentioned cutie.

It had been a while since I was envying all those smartphone owners around me, and when the opportunity showed up I tried to take full advantage of it. So after a long analysis, I settled my mind on the HTC Desire.

 ...and I can assure you that I don't regret it.
Like any other device it has its strengths and its weaknesses, but for the moment it matches all my requests. 
Here's an overview from the outside to the inside.
At first view, its design is very appealing and ergonomic. A great plus is the 3.7" AMOLED Screen (res. 480x800) which renders browsing and media interaction more than pleasant.
From a more technical point of view, the 1GHz CPU enables the gadget to manage heavy multitasking in the blink of an eye. The 400+ Mb RAM is satisfying; a slight weakness being the ROM (150Mb) which limits the amount of applications installed. On the other hand, the micro-SD card allows you to take all the photos and videos that you like and to carry your music everywhere with you, without worrying about the phone's internal memory.
Talking about photos and videos the phone comes with a 5MP camera, so no sharable instant is going to be lost no more; it can't replace a real camera (mainly because of the zoom capacity) but it was never meant to do so.
The real weak spot is the battery lifetime, since I've never been able to make it last more than 2 days during professional usage (email, calendar, rss feeds syncing all day, internet when needed all on 3G+, and several applications...) or one day on heavy duty (WIFI, multimedia, GPS navigaton, photos...). It is true that I never tried to save up power to the extreme, but in that case it would no longer have been a smartphone.
Last but not least is the OS, the Android 2.2 Froyo, coupled with the HTC Sense, which enables you to customize the widgets and shortcuts in the most convenient way for different situations. There are people who accuse Google of enslaving the users' personal data, but in my case that has more or less happened already (I've been using Gmail, Calendar, Documents, Maps, Blogger... for quite a while) and moreover, I think that this is better than being tied to the Apple system, which is basically the same thing...even worse.
In addition, the Market has become a real competitor of the AppStore without having the same imposed exclusivity.
For the ones interested, here are some applications that are worth a look: a task manager (Advanced Task Manager), an antivirus (Lookout), Blogaway (a Blogger Client), Gesture Search, Goggles, Shazam, Google Sky Map, gReader (a Google Reader client), Metal Detector...
For the high-end gadget fans there is also an HD version of the phone, with more looks and a bit more powerful, but for me this one is just all that I needed...not to forget that besides all these, it can call and be called and send and receive messages ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment