Monday, September 6, 2010

Logic defing action story aka Cold-War Reloaded

Acting: 3/5
Story: 3.5/5
Perception: 2.5/5
Rating: 3/5

I went to see this movie with the hope that it would be different from what it seemed to be...and it was but not by much.
Being one of the most bombarding trailers out there, I guess you know what's supposed to be about. In short, some Russian spy points out an American agent, Evelyn Salt, to be in fact one of his fellow spies who would kill some president. After that we're dragged into a 1h+ action sequence consisting in chases, explosions, shoot-outs, infiltrations...
The double-agent mystery idea was quite a good one, and the there are some unpredictable twists in the plot, but it kinda ends up there. In addition, there's also a Cold War shiver that comes and goes that I find somewhat worn-out after two decades of Russian-American accords. 
I'm am not an Angelina fan so I can't say that I was impressed by her acting; for me she's a good support actress (Wanted, Mr. & Mrs/ Smith - yes Brad was the lead, she just followed up) not more (never seen Changeling and never will). On the other side Sabertooth was more convincing, not that he had tons of stuff to do.
Now comes the part that should have vouched for the movie, the action sequences, and, sadly, they were pretty disappointing, luckily with some exceptions. I get that she was a super-spy but there are laws that could never be broken and those are physics and common sense. The almost Matrix-like flying around or falling all over the places and getting up afterwards aren't good examples of obeying those two.
So, for me it isn't worth more than a movie night on the couch between friends.       









Noticed Facts - Spoiler Alert!!!

The Taser induced acceleration was almost hilarious. And so was the whole elevator shaft scene.
I noticed that she didn't need to much makeup to look like a guy :p
Who come that when they run in some subway station the escalator is never crowded so they can slalom easily?
If they're pulling a sequel after the more than exaggerated final scene, it is pure BS...
 I'm no biology expert, but I'm not so sure that one can extract the spider venom with a common syringe...
A highly dangerous suspect kept in a SUV with just two clumsy guard, instead of a full-packed van looks more like a joke.
Couldn't they get a real Russian to play the president?
...and this is just a short list of what I could remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment