Thursday, January 31, 2013

January '13 Movies Digest

Starting the year on an action note

Total Recall

Acting: 3.5/5
Story: 3/5
Perception: 3/5

Rating: 3/5

I've never seen the original Total Recall, so this won't come out of a comparison. The movie is an OK action feature. It hasn't any complex development in the story, only the linear evolution of mysterious lead character. The cast had a more than decent performance, with a very convincing Beckinsale. On the visual part, I have to complain about some sequences that had the flow and the camera action of video games which I didn't find particularly pleasant.

Django Unchained

Acting: 5/5
Story: 4.5/5
Perception: 4.5/5

Rating: 4.5/5

A new Tarantino, faithful to its name. But even with all its twisted view and crazy turnovers, it is the actors performance that dazzled me. And my favorites out of this quad aces are Waltz and Sam Jackson, who kill in every second of screen time. If I was to nitpick, and I'm doing it, I would say that the movie is not that action-packed as one might expect and that some moments seem pretty slow. It's only a couple of them, but I felt it. Anyway when it's showdown, it really gives no quarter.

Butter

Acting: 3.5/5
Story: 2.5/5
Perception: 2.5/5

Rating: 3/5

A funny-ish concept in its absurdity. The execution is average especially in the plot connections and scene transitions. The actors do their job decently, especially Olivia Wilde (with all the irony), but Ty Burrell seemed in my opinion underused.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Acting: 4/5
Story: 4.5/5
Perception: 4/5

Rating: 4/5

If I would have to choose a word to describe the general note of the movie, it would be: professional. Everything (acting, filming, editing...) is very well done, but  there is nothing that really impressed me. The best example is Rooney Mara's impersonation of Lisbeth, it is a spotless performance, but something was still missing. In the end, this a very good, somewhat deranged, mystery/thriller.




No comments:

Post a Comment